04 April, 2008

Questions Answered

One of the things that I've repeatedly said in interviews about this film is that I have no current ties to any fire departments, other than the friends I've made along the way. Recently, I've had a lot of people ask me what my affiliations are with fire and police departments. So, in an effort to disclose my ties, these are the people that I'm related to who have been civil or military servants:

1. My Dad: Richard W. Blackman - Alabama National Guard, United States Navy (also trained as a fireman, being that he served on oil tankers), Rhode Island National Guard and Civil Air Patrol, Auxilliary of the United States Air Force.

2. My Grandfathers: Edward A. Conway - United States Army, served in WWI. Providence, RI Fire Department, appointed October, 1931, retired in 1951. Thomas W. Blackman - United States Navy Seabee, served in WWII.

3. Great-Grandfather: John L. Johnson - United States Army, Served in WWI. United States Army Reserve Military Police Officer, stationed at Tennessee Coal & Iron Railroad "village" in Alabama.

4. Great-Uncle: Lewis O'Donnell - Providence Police Officer for approximately three years. Appointed in October, 1931. Quit after breaking his ankle while giving chase to a robbery suspect and finding that no one would help him. Ended up working for Winfield & Sons Funeral Home.

5. Very Distant cousins: Captain Ronald Gilchrist - Providence Fire Department (Retired). Didn't even know him until about five years ago. Jack and Bill O'Donnell - Correctional Officers at the Rhode Island ACI. Joseph O'Donnell - Pawtucket Police Department (Retired). Major Stephen O'Donnell - second in command of the Rhode Island State Police. Never met him. There are others, including a Canadian Mountie, though I have never met them.

So, hopefully this will put to rest those questions. Yes, my family has a rich history of public service - being that we're a bunch of Irishmen, that's no big surprise, really.

My passion for the subject of the job of firefighting comes solely from my own heart. I wanted to be a firefighter and was unable to do so. Now, years later, I find that I am able to help gain some public support for America's Bravest by telling their story and giving some sense of humanity to them. People take firefighters for granted - they aren't people unless you're directly effected by their work.

I can attest personally to the fact that they are human... very human. With very human feelings and very human passion for the work that they do, despite all of the negativity that surrounds them.

So no - I'm not married to a firefighter, not dating one, not related to anyone currently on the job (at least not closely enough to be thought of that way) and I have nothing to gain from this project.

I have gained, though. I've gained an adopted family - and they have been there for me through good times and bad - especially now, as my family learns of the return of my father's lung cancer. They have come out in full force offering their support, love and friendship. For that, I am truly blessed.

2 comments:

Grandma Muggle said...

Funny. I was thinking just the other day that, though my Daddy didn't leave me a lot of money, he gave me the best inheritance anyone has ever received. He left me his brother and ultimately his sister firefighters.

As soon as I tell any one of them that he was a fireman (not firefighter at that time) they open up to me and ask where he worked and what type of apparatus he rode etc. So many smiles and hugs follow and it sometimes feels like Daddy is hugging me himself all over again. Even though he died when I was a teenager and I am now a grandmother I often wish I could tell him how much my "inheritance" means to me. I feel so lucky.

Love, Mom.

Chrysalis said...

Erin, I am so sorry to hear what's going on with your loved one. Please know you have my support as well.