22 January, 2008

Stuff

So, I should be filming at Fire Alarm this Friday - barring any insanity in the meantime. That will put me so much closer to post-production! I still have a little more to do, some dependent upon weather conditions, others dependent upon scheduling, but we're nearly done with the tough stuff.

I realized the other day that I am, in fact, dragging my feet a little bit. I almost don't want it to be finished. But now, it's so close I can taste it and I want to see the film myself. Yes, I know more about what it looks like than anyone else, but I still want to see the actual, finished product. I'll pick up the pace a little bit and hope for the best.

There is one thing that just sparked the proverbial fire under my butt - I read one of the entries on Michael Morse's blog just now. It's called "Comfort One". I've not heard this term before, but apparently it's a protocol that is in place for terminally ill people. It's a sort of DNR sort of thing, the patient wearing a bracelet and calling only for supplemental oxygen and providing of comfort by EMTs in the event that they are transported to the hospital. Michael, as always, pulls you into the story, speaking of the patient having been transported numerous times by him to the hospital during his courageous battle with cancer. At the end of the piece, he reveals that he transported the patient to the hospital - Hasbro Childrens' Hospital - because the patient is only eight years old. Tears rolled down my cheeks - pain in my heart not only for the child who has only had eight years on this earth and God only knows how many of them were good and his family, who must certainly be dealing with unfathomable pain - but also for Michael and the other First Responders who went to that boy's home.

I know so many people out there who think that firefighters "get used to it". If they only knew... if they only knew how many times firefighters have nightmares about things like this. If they only knew about how a firefighter - days, weeks, months even YEARS later can be driving down a street and see, hear or smell something that reminds them of that little one that they carried out of a scene and burst into tears, pain tearing at their heart. They just don't understand that it never goes away... it just gets tucked behind that brick wall, into that storage unit where all those little ones live forever - they never really die. They live with all of the other horrors that these brave men and women face every single day.


Would YOU ever be able to get "USED TO" this?


Bless them all... each and every one.

2 comments:

Michael Morse said...

Great job, Erin. You seem to get right to the essence of things. I can't wait to see the film!

Michael Morse said...

Hello again. Just had a flashback so I wrote about it over on rescuing Providence. You never forget.

Bye, see you soon.