03 January, 2008

Image... It's All About Image....


He's not only the Union President, he's also a Firefighter.

You know, there is something important that must be remembered in the midst of all of the media madness and political mudslinging. Union President or not, Paul Doughty is - FIRST AND FOREMOST - a firefighter.

If you ever saw this guy's credentials, you'd fall over. His involvement in the job of firefighting goes far beyond the fact that he is a member of the PFD's Special Hazards Unit. Federal Emergency Management, Urban Search And Rescue, Heavy Rescue, Incorporated - the list goes on and on, up to and including being an all-around great guy and a good friend.

He's not impressed by his own career. He'll tell you he's just doing his job - he's just a firefighter and that's all there is to it. He's not in it for the glory; he's not in it to be called a hero; he's not in it to be praised by those he helps.

"Has anyone ever come back to find you just to say thank you for helping them?" I asked the question, paying close attention to his immediate reaction. I think the best description of that reaction would be amusement.

"I'm still waiting," he replied. "But that's not important. We know that we help people. We don't need thanks."

I disagree, but I can see his point. I think they should ALWAYS be thanked for what they do.

Who knows, Paul? Maybe you'll get that "thank you" someday - hopefully the film will inspire someone to seek you out just to say that.

Be well & stay safe, my friend.

2 comments:

Chrysalis said...

Hi Erin, just popping in. Sometimes, people are afraid to try to find the person that helped them. I know once while I was working at a different job,there was a patient who was going on and on about this Fireman that helped them and how much she thought of him. I realized she was talking about my own Fireguy. (This call was unique, and I was familiar with the specifics, so I knew it was him.) So, thanks is out there, he just might not always hear it, but it's there.

Grandma Muggle said...

Hi Erin,

As you know. Paul once said of me "She loves every firefighter." He's right of course. That started with Daddy being one and my appreciating what they do and what their families deal with as well.
It is also true as YOU told HIM. "Yes she does but she has her favorites."
I just wanted everyone out there to know that Paul Doughty is one of my "favorites."
I find him to be highly intelligent, hard working and self effacing. He also has a sense of humor which is an asset to say the least. I am proud of him and the work he does both as the union president and as a firefighter. No matter what, I bet most people know that the union and the people of Providence get more than their "money's worth" from this wonderful guy.
Now you know why he is "one of my favorites."

God bless, Paul. Hang in there. This old gal wishes you well.

Fondly Pat.