07 April, 2010

PROGRESS - It's A Beautiful Thing

On Saturday, I came home from a very long day and Fran (my best friend and roommate) asked me if I noticed anything missing from the room in which we were sitting. I looked around, tired, sore... didn't notice anything, though.

"The hard drive and the Firewire card?" She smiled.

She spent the day installing them on the computer.

I had other things to do, but on Sunday, I gathered up my camera and my tapes and went into the office. I looked around for the new connections, but had trouble finding them. Fran came in and hooked up the camera. I turned it on... "bing!" the computer located it.

That was when I started crying and hugged Fran so tightly that I nearly crushed her ribcage.

Happy? Ecstatic? Thrilled? Not one of those three words even begins to describe what I felt when that computer recognized the camera. The feeling was quadrupled when I fired up my camera's software and began capturing video.

Since then, I have completed two capturing sessions and am about to embark on a third. I have loved sitting down and watching the footage again - reliving stuff that I had forgotten about and being moved by stories from the firefighters.

So, folks... this process is saving upwards of $10,000.00. This is the time consuming part, but for me it is flying by. I also realized that I had six or seven other tapes in a different location. It's going to be so difficult to cut this stuff down to fit into an hour-long compilation. I am finding such beautiful material - perfect verbal descriptions of an indescribable job.

My thanks again to all those who endured me filming them and hanging out. I have been so blessed to be able to live this experience. My experiences with these amazing men and women is just as indescribable as their job is. I am a very, very lucky woman.

Be well & stay safe all. Keep the faith... we're moving along!! :-)

No comments: