10 February, 2008

It's Official - I'm A Dork.

10 Feb 08

But as usual, my dorkieness (I know that isn't a word) paid off.

So as I said in my last post about Fire Alarm, I filmed this great segment with Larry Warner explaining the Form Four Console (the box alarm board). Yes, I was all excited about that segment. Then I sat down to review my footage at home.

I'm watching the footage and all of a sudden, just when I'm thinking, "oh, good, Larry's part is coming up...", I see some lovely footage of my own feet walking across the floor at Fire Alarm. Then some great shots of me sitting down in the chair and some fantastic images of the counter beside me.

Yup - that confirmed it - I'm a dork. I THOUGHT that I had hit the record button when Larry was talking about the console, but apparently I didn't depress it completely. Then when I THOUGHT I had shut it off, it was recording. Duh.

So, I get in touch with Larry and we make plans to reshoot that scene. He sent me an e-mail in response thanking me for "pretending" to film him. LOL At any rate, I went back this past Friday and reshot the scene with him. I was introduced to two dispatchers, Ronald Dinocco and Paul Cunha. I took some footage of Ron dispatching a call and of Paul taking a call for help (an auto accident on Brook Street, if I recall... thought the location was interesting). {Yes, that is an inside joke with my Boys at Fire Alarm!} ;-) Apparently, my presence with camera in hand is said to have made a wonderful impression upon certain dispatchers who shall remain nameless. I was once again assured that I could return any time - preferably every day or at least six days a week.

Well, I now have the footage I needed and it's lit much better, as well - and I gained some more live call footage with some more members of Fire Alarm. They really are an awesome group and it's been a pleasure to work with them.

As I was leaving, Capt. Bill Moise was there. He had thought I was going to hang out for the night and shoot some more video. It probably wouldn't have been a bad idea, but I was tired, so I let the boys get back to their work.

I'm beginning to wish I could hang out with these guys all the time! :-)

No comments: