26 September, 2007





I know this has nothing to do with the documentary, but Michael is a very dear friend and as you've read, I had the honor and privilege of riding with him and Ray Thibault a couple of Saturdays ago.


The photograph to the left was taken by me earlier this year at Chester Barrows Elementary School in Cranston, RI. The man in the foreground is Lt. Michael Morse. The man in the background is his brother, SFC Robert Morse of the RI National Guard's 1207th Transportation Company. A little background on why they were at the school... My Mom, Pat Blackman, is known as "Grandma Muggle" to several classes at three different Cranston elementary schools. She started out about six years ago visiting my niece, Amberlee's class at Chester Barrows to read to the class. The teachers fell in love with her, as did the kids and it turned into what is now known as the "Grandma Muggle Club". The kids have done numerous service projects, including making place cards for the food trays at the Veterans' Hospital, donating to the "Put Your Two-Cents' Worth In" campaign which has raised money for various charity events and they have also adopted RI soldiers serving in Iraq, sending them letters and care packages. Robert Morse was "adopted" by the Grandma Muggle Club. When he came home on an "R & R" leave, he only had two weeks to spend with his wife, kids and family. He took an entire afternoon out of that time and he and Michael visited the kids at Chester Barrows Elementary School. Not only did he do that, but he also schleped home two Muslim prayer rugs that he had made for the kids, which had the logo of the 1207th and the name of the school in English and Arabic, as well as certificates from the commander of the 1207th officially thanking the kids for their support. The kids were fascinated with both Robert and Michael - asking all kinds of questions about Iraq and the fire department. I skulked around the classrooms while Robert talked to the kids and as I was photographing the event, I noticed something. Every time Robert mentioned returning to Iraq, Michael would suddenly look absolutely forlorn. The kids didn't notice - in fact, I'm sure I was the only one who did. I decided to try to capture that image... the love of brothers - never really spoken, but always there.


I caught this image after several tries. It had gotten to the point where Michael was pretty much ignoring the fact that I was shooting at all. Knowing Michael, he probably assumed that I was taking a picture of Robert. But I got the image and I'm so glad that I did, because Robert is home now - safe and home. Thank God for that. I look forward to having a chance someday to take another photograph of them, simply enjoying each other's company and content in the fact that they've each endured so much in their own right, but survived.

I am honored to know such wonderful men... men who lay their lives on the line for the protection of others. Selflessly dedicated, loyal, kindhearted... that is what I see in "The Morse Boys".

2 comments:

Chrysalis said...

Great post Erin! I hope you won't mind, I've linked to your site trying to help Michael with his book that is now out. I have enjoyed his blog and believe in this book. I think it is such a great thing all the work you have done. I hope you will approve. If you do not, please contact me and I will remove the link to your site.

Grandma Muggle said...

Great story about the Morse Boys visiting one of my schools Erin. One thing though. You stripped away some of my "seniority". This is the start of my eighth year at Chester Barrows, my third year at Stone Hill and my first year at Edward Rhodes school.
Lookie here Kid. I have become a "tradition!"
Who'd a thunk It? LOL.
Lots of work but loads of fun and I get to meet such handsome and special young men too!
Sometimes I feel like "Grandma to the world." Know what? I LOVE it. Wouldn't trade it for all the gold in Fort Knox.

Keep up the good work Erin.
Dad and I are proud of you.

Love, Mom AKA Grandma Muggle.