05 June, 2007

Filming the Incidentals

May, 2007

I shot two sessions this month, both at the North Main Street Station with the crews of Ladder 4, Engine 7 and Rescue 5 (mainly with the Ladder and Engine Crews). Now, I probably have the firefighters thinking I'm out of my tree, because I was filming them cleaning the station, shopping for food and cooking dinner. The sad fact is that most people don't realize that firefighters do have to do these things - AT WORK, not just in their own homes.

It baffles me - is it just that I heard the stories from my Mom and have visted the stations? Why do people think that there are janitors (OH! Excuse me... Maintenance Engineers.) at fire stations? Do they think that people come in and clean and that the kitchen is there for show? Do they believe that fire trucks can fit into a car wash bay? I don't understand it, but people don't know that these things go on.

I can understand them not knowing that firefighters have to pitch in for appliances and televisions and such, but they don't know about the other stuff.

Well, they will when the documentary airs, because it's being included. It will be tough to do a voiceover for that part of the film... I'll have to bite my tongue.

So I filmed them washing walls, waxing floors, washing trucks... all that fun stuff. Then I went to the super market with them and filmed them shopping for their lunch. The manager of the store wasn't really thrilled about it, but the guys got him to relax and I got the shots I needed.

I went back on A-Group's first night shift and filmed them making dinner. As usual, the crew was exceptionally hospitable and invited me to join them for dinner. They do spoil me, I must say. :-)

My thanks to Captain Horton, Jay Fabrizio and all at North Main Street on A-Group for their participation!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Erin.
While reading this I could almost hear my Dad saying "Patty. Don't touch the brass" and smell that distinctive aroma of the old cleaning solution the firemen once used to clean the station houses. I have forgotten the name of it but, as I recall, Captain Vernon once told it to me. Memories.

Love, Mom.
FF Ed Conway's "little firebrand."